Bonzi Buddy Description
Bonzi buddy is another bad application included in the adware family. This was designed and developed by JOE and JAY Bonzi in 1999 with functions similar to office assistant. When it was introduced it presented as a green talking parrot ultimately taking the form of a purple ape. it came with a wide range of sending mail, has come with moving ability, searching the web far from the lesser part and functions as a download utility. This application was also designed for providing search results by getting in text form or by speech format from the users. This type of program had made its bad reputation for being malware, mainly as a form of adware with spyware capabilities. Most security experts say that bonzi buddy is an adware program that poses a terrible security threat, stating that the unwanted program which was installed before your concern is at high risk. This type of notification they give in numerous times. However, due to a mixture of adware, malware, spyware and hijacking process many cybersecurity vendors included into a virus database as adware or spyware.
On February 18,2004 in the name of Bonzi buddy adware assistance an official of the Federation Trade Commission released a statement indicating that this malware was ordered to pay a fine of $75000 for violating the activities against the children at the age of 9 years because there is no rule in FTC to breach the data of anybody. This program was free in the initial stage when it was introduced but after, some functions were not free because they were made only for demo that would urge/ask people to pay to extend the module for other functions. Let’s demonstrate with an example – bonzi gives the jokes and songs to the people but to go beyond jokes and songs (about a half dozen) users need to purchase a song and a joke module. Some software professional has written an article stating that bonzi buddy is a spyware and a “scourge for internet”. Although it is no longer in existence, nowadays adware becomes a serious threat to millions users across a globe.
Threat’s Note :-
- Name – Bonzi Buddy
- Type – Adware, Spyware, PUP
- Registered – It was registered in 1999. The second update was made in 2000 but after some years in 2004 it got discontinued.
- Operating System – Windows x
- Distribution – Free software package, malicious ads and pop-ups, suspicious hyperlinks
- Description – This software belongs to the adware and PUPs category, and this software has been fined for violating the children’s privacy.
- Symptoms – They use original application desktop characters like bonzi which keep showing the messages and voice interaction directly on the desktop.
- Attacker’s Motive – To steal your personal information and gives to other hackers
- Removal – To remove the bonzi buddy app you should scan your system with legit antivirus software.
How Did Bonzy Buddy Affect My Computer
Bonzi buddy adware is a potentially unwanted program that enters your system and takes the personal information secretly by giving notification multiple times like jokes, songs etc.
How To Delete bonzi buddy
If you permanently see unwanted programs, ads while surfing on the computer you should delete this type of adware. Before deleting the programs you have to follow instructions based on the process. If you want to delete bonzi buddy you can do it by manual process or automatic process whichever suits you, can go with it.
Prevention Tips For Bonzi buddy
You should always be careful while browsing /surfing internet and avoid downloading or installing nasty applications like bonzi buddy in your system like peer to peer network, fake installers, updaters, downloaders and uploaders from unofficial sources. You should always try to download, install and update any app using an official sources. Stop untrustworthy domains as well as links, attachment, ads, pop-ups should not be clicked. use always legit antivirus software to protect your system from this type of adware.
Details of Antimalware with User’s Guide
Important Note: This virus seeks users to enable the web browser notifications. So, before opting for the manual removal process, execute these steps.
For Google Chrome (PC)
- Users need to Go to right upper corner of the screen and find three dots and click there open the Menu button
- Now in order to Select “Settings”. users need to Scroll the mouse downward to choose as “Advanced” option.
- Then Go to “Privacy and Security” section by scrolling downward. Once done you need to select “Content settings” and then “Notification” option
- Now Find all suspicious URLs and select and click on three dots on the right side
- Now all you have to do is to choose “Block” or “Remove” option
Google Chrome (Android)
- Firstly users should Go to right upper corner of the screen
- Then click on three dots in order to open the menu button and again click on “Settings”
- Now scroll down further to click on “site settings” and there after press on “notifications” option
- This would open a new window, now you need to choose each suspicious URLs one by one
- under permission section, users need to select “notification” and “Off” the toggle button.
From Mozilla Firefox
- At the right corner of the screen, users can find three dots which is the “Menu” button
- Now you need to Select “Options” and choose “Privacy and Security” for the toolbar which is present in the left side on the screen
- Now you need to Slowly scroll down and go to “Permission” section then select “Settings” option which is just next to “Notifications”
- This will open a new window, So now select all the suspicious URLs. Finally Click on the drop-down menu and select “Block” option
From Internet Explorer
- Open and select Internet Explorer window, then you need to select the Gear button which is present at the right corner
- Then Choose “Internet Options”
- users need to Select “Privacy” tab and then click on “Settings” under the “Pop-up Blocker” section
- Finally you need to Select all the suspicious URLs and click on the “Remove” option one by one.
In Microsoft Edge
- First of all Open the Microsoft Edge browser on Windows PC. Then click on the three dots which can be found on right corner of the screen to open the menu option
- Now Scroll down to select “Settings”
- Then further Scroll down to select “view advanced settings”
- Under the option of “Website Permission”, users should click on “Manage” options.
- Now Click on switch under for each and every suspicious URL.
For Safari (Mac)
- click on “Safari” On the upper right side corner, select “Preferences”
- Now Go to “website” tab and then you need to choose “Notification” section which is on left pane
- Then Search for all the suspicious URLs and finally choose “Deny” option one by one.
Complete Manual Steps to Remove Bonzy Buddy
For Windows 7 Users
The first step is to Click on “Start” button ( windows logo at bottom left corner of screen), Now select “Control Panel”. Then Locate the “Programs” and finally click on “Uninstall Program” option.
Windows XP Users
Firstly Click on “Start” and then select on “Settings”.
Now click on “Control Panel”.
Finally Search and click on “Add or Remove Program” option.
Windows 10 and 8 Users
Firstly right click on to the lower left corner of the screen. Under “Quick Access” menu, you need to choose “Control Panel”. This would open a new window, select “Program and Features” to find any suspicious program and remove them.
For Mac OSX Users
users need to Click on “Finder” option. Then select “Application” on new screen which gets opened. Now select “Application” folder and drag the app to “Trash”. Finally right click on the Trash icon and select to click on “Empty Trash” option.
under uninstall programs window, look for any potentially unwanted application. Once found select all the unwanted and suspicious entries. Then finally click on “Uninstall” or “Remove”.
Once all the PUA and adware such as Bonzy Buddy is uninstalled, it is advised to scan your computer with an anti-malware tool for any remaining PUPs and PUAs which might be hidden. It is recommended to use anti-malware tool to scan PC.
How to Remove Bonzy Buddy from Internet Browsers
Steps to Delete malicious add-ons and extensions from Internet Explorer
You need to Click on the gear icon which is at the top right corner of Internet Explorer. Now Select “Manage Add-ons”. Search and check for any recently installed plug-ins or add-ons and then click on “Remove” option.
If you are still experiencing issues related to Bonzy Buddy removal, then you can reset the Internet Explorer to its default setting.
Windows XP users: First of all Press on “Start” and then click “Run”. In the newly opened window, you need to type “inetcpl.cpl” and then click on the “Advanced” tab and now press on “Reset”.
Windows Vista and Windows 7 Users: Press the Windows logo, you need to type ‘inetcpl.cpl’ in the start search box and press enter. This will open a new window, here click on the “Advanced Tab” followed by “Reset” button.
For Windows 8 Users: Double click to Open IE and then click on the “gear” icon. Select and Choose “Internet Options”
“Advanced” tab is to be selected in the new window
now Press and click “Reset” option
“Reset” button is to be presses again to confirm that you really want to reset the IE
How to Remove suspicious and unwanted Extension from Google Chrome
Under menu option of Google Chrome, press on three vertical dots and then select on “More tools” and then “Extensions”. Users need to search for all the recently installed add-ons and remove all of them.
If Bonzy Buddy still persists or in case if users experience any issue in removing it, then opt to reset the Google Chrome browse settings. Go to three dot points which is at the top right corner and then choose “Settings”. you need to Scroll down bottom and click on “Advanced”.
You can notice the “Reset” option is there at the bottom. Now click on it.
Within then next opened window, one needs to confirm to reset the Google Chrome settings by clicking on the “Reset” button.
Remove Bonzy Buddy plugins (including all other suspicious plug-ins) from Firefox Mozilla
First of all Open the Firefox browser, under menu you need to select “Add-ons”. Click “Extensions”. Now Select all the recently installed browser plug-ins.
If you experience problems in Bonzy Buddy removal then reset the settings option in Mozilla Firefox. For this users need to Open the browser (FF) and now click on the “menu” and then click on “Help“.
Now Choose “Troubleshooting Information”
In the newly opened pop-up window, click “Refresh Firefox” button
Now confirm and reset the Mozilla Firefox to its default settings by clicking on “Refresh Firefox” button.
How To Remove Malicious Extension from Safari
In order to accomplish this task, Open Safari browser and then go to its “Menu” and select “Preferences”.
Now Click on the “Extension” and check all the recently installed “Extensions” and then click on “Uninstall” on the selected extension.
Users need to Open the “Safari” and go to menu. Under the drop-down menu, select “Clear History and Website Data”.
within new opened window, you need to select “All History” option and then press on “Clear History” to Delete it.
Delete Bonzy Buddy add-ons from Microsoft Edge Browser
First of all Open Microsoft Edge and go to three horizontal dot icons at the top right corner of the browser. Select all installed extensions and right click on the mouse to “uninstall”.
Open Microsoft Edge Browser and select “Settings”
Next steps is to click on “Choose what to clear” button
Now select on “show more” and select all and then click on “Clear” button.
Mostly, Potentially Unwanted Program and adware gets inside the marked PC through unsafe freeware downloads. It is advised that you should only select legit website only while downloading any kind of free applications. Now select custom or advanced installation process so that you can trace the additional PUPs listed for installation along with the main program.