Introduction of Commodatum.app Adware
Commodatum.app is classified as adware, a type of software that displays unwanted advertisements on your device. It mainly affects Mac computers and belongs to the Pirit family of adware. It generates unwanted and intrusive advertisements, disrupting your browsing experience and potentially posing a security risk. Here's the most common and simple example of what it does:
- Displays pop-up ads, banners, and other intrusive ads while you browse, watch videos, or work on your Mac.
- Can place advertisements on websites, even those that are not normally known to display advertisements.
- When clicking on ads you may be redirected to malicious websites, putting your data and privacy at risk.
- Ads can slow down your Mac by consuming resources to display ads.
- May collect your browsing data for targeted advertising purposes.
Where did Commodatum.app Adware come from?
The exact origins of Commodatum.app Adware remain unclear, but there are several possibilities based on what we know:
- Bundled Software: This is the most likely scenario. Adware like Commodatum.app often comes bundled with free software downloads, especially media players, PDF converters, or productivity tools. These programs may present adware as an "optional" component during installation, but users may inadvertently install it by rushing through the process.
- Malicious websites: Clicking on suspicious links on compromised websites or websites with bad advertising practices can sometimes result in the download of this type of adware without your knowledge. These links may be disguised as legitimate buttons or appear in fake error messages.
- Third-party installers or app stores: Some third-party software installers or unofficial app stores may offer cracked or pirated versions of popular software that have this type of adware embedded within the files. Downloading from such sources is extremely risky and should be avoided.
Are Commodatum.app Adware dangerous?
Whether Commodatum.app adware is directly dangerous depends on your definition of the term. Although it is not classified as malware and will not directly steal your data or damage your system files, it can still be quite problematic and disruptive. Here are details of its potential downsides:
- Intrusive Ads: This is the main nuisance. It bombards you with pop-ups, banners, and other advertisements that interrupt your browsing experience and make it hard to focus on your tasks.
- Privacy Concerns: Adware tracks your browsing habits and online activity to target you with more relevant ads. This raises privacy concerns, especially if you value anonymity online.
- System resource hog: This can consume system resources, slowing down your computer's performance and draining its battery life.
- Phishing Scams: Some of the advertisements it displays may be phishing scams designed to steal your personal information such as login credentials or credit card details.
How to remove Commodatum.app Adware from your Mac?
If you read all the reasons why this adware is dangerous, as we mentioned above, you will obviously want to remove it. So if you want to remove Commodatum.app adware from your Mac then click on the link below and follow the mentioned steps.
Firstly Open the “Menu” bar and then you need to click the “Finder” icon. Now Select “Go” and click on “Go to Folder”
Step 1: You need to Search the suspicious malware related files in /Library/LaunchAgents folder
Within the “Go to Folder” option type /Library/LaunchAgents
In the “Launch Agent” folder, you need to look for all the Commodatum.app files which were recently downloaded and then move them to “Trash”.
Step 2: Search and remove the files generated by the Commodatum.app in “/Library/Application” Support folder
Within “Go to Folder bar”, you need to type “/Library/Application Support”
Search all suspicious and newly created folders in “Application Support” folder. If you detect any one of these like Commodatum.app then move them to “Trash” folder.
Step 3: Look for any of the files that are malware generated in /Library/LaunchAgent Folder
Go to Folder bar and type /Library/LaunchAgents
Step4: Now Go to /Library/LaunchDaemons Folder and look for Commodatum.app Related Files
Step 5: Use Spyhunter Anti-Malware To Scan your Mac PC
The malware can be removed from the Mac PC provided you carry out all the steps mentioned above exactly in same way. However, it is always advised to ensure that your PC is not infected. It is suggested to scan the work-station with SpyHunter for Mac Scanner.
- SpyHunter for Mac Scanner is a robust scanner which is designed in such a way that it can be used by both Novice as well as advanced Mac users.
- Custom Scan – Users can easily select and run custom scan for individual files, privacy issues, memories apart from running complete scan as well.
- Startup Manager – It is configured and designed in such a manner that users can initiate the scan process to remove Commodatum.app and troubleshoot startup issues.
- SpyHunter Spyware HelpDesk – Users can click on the Submit a Support Ticket button and fill up their detailed information. A support agent will then contact within 48 hours of ticket submission.
App Uninstaller: Users can uninstall Mac apps and its related files to make some space free on hard drive.
How TO Remove Commodatum.app from Internet Browsers
Steps to Delete suspicious and Malicious Extension from Safari
In order to accomplish this task, Open Safari browser and then go to its “Menu” and select “Preferences”.
Now Click on the “Extension” and check all the recently installed “Extensions” and then click on “Uninstall” on the selected extension.
Users need to Open the “Safari” and go to menu. Under the drop-down menu, select “Clear History and Website Data”.
within new opened window, you need to select “All History” option and then press on “Clear History” to Delete it.
How to Remove Commodatum.app from Internet Browsers
Steps to Delete malicious add-ons and extensions from Internet Explorer
You need to Click on the gear icon which is at the top right corner of Internet Explorer. Now Select “Manage Add-ons”. Search and check for any recently installed plug-ins or add-ons and then click on “Remove” option.
How to Remove suspicious and unwanted Extension from Google Chrome
Under menu option of Google Chrome, press on three vertical dots and then select on “More tools” and then “Extensions”. Users need to search for all the recently installed add-ons and remove all of them.
If Commodatum.app still persists or in case if users experience any issue in removing it, then opt to reset the Google Chrome browse settings. Go to three dot points which is at the top right corner and then choose “Settings”. you need to Scroll down bottom and click on “Advanced”.
You can notice the “Reset” option is there at the bottom. Now click on it.
Within then next opened window, one needs to confirm to reset the Google Chrome settings by clicking on the “Reset” button.
Remove Commodatum.app plugins (including all other suspicious plug-ins) from Firefox Mozilla
First of all Open the Firefox browser, under menu you need to select “Add-ons”. Click “Extensions”. Now Select all the recently installed browser plug-ins.
If you experience problems in Commodatum.app removal then reset the settings option in Mozilla Firefox. For this users need to Open the browser (FF) and now click on the “menu” and then click on “Help“.
Now Choose “Troubleshooting Information”
In the newly opened pop-up window, click “Refresh Firefox” button
Now confirm and reset the Mozilla Firefox to its default settings by clicking on “Refresh Firefox” button.