What is CoolWebSearch?
CoolWebSearch is a notorious potentially unwanted program that is considered the most aggressive browser hijacker in the history of cybersecurity ever created. As soon browser hijacker activates it starts redirecting and modifies all the searches to CoolWebSearch.com or other questionable sites. It enters the system to infiltrate without taking permission from the user. It changes the default home page, search engine, or New Tab. In 2005 when CoolWebSearch was launched and afterward it infected almost 8% of computer devices across the world which is among massive things. It installs multiple dubious bookmarks to sites, it also introduces browser helper objects (BHO), and somewhat creates a shortcut in the desktop.
Know More About CoolWebSearch
As CoolWebSearch gets installed on the computer it starts showing numbers of advertisements which is very rogue. So if you have allowed the notification, a number of intrusive ads will bombard your desktop through banners, ads, pop-ups, etc. Moreover, you will notice that the website you visited will redirect to another web page. When CoolWebSearch successfully infiltrates, the browser hijacker keeps an eye on the activity that the user is doing in the browser, which pages are visited by the users, etc. one way or another, it will compromise all your web browsers like the Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and so on.
Besides, CoolWebSearch repeatedly watches over the activity and gathers related information like Geolocation, Visited URLs, IP Addresses, and so on. Browser hijackers can also collect private and sensitive data etc. The main reason behind this is to manipulate the user and create many clicks on push notifications that are sent by a group of hackers through deceptive advertisements. Most of the users do not recognize these unwanted applications which are currently floating on the top of the screen are nasty and can harm the system badly. Cybercriminals want that the user should download or install these deceptive advertisements which come from third-party software installers called bundles. Bundling is a process that is a marketing technique used by hackers to earn lots of revenue. So, it is highly suggested to remove it as soon as possible and always use legit antivirus software to protect your PC, Laptop from CoolWebSearch
- Name – CoolWebSearch
- Type – Browser hijacker
- Registered – It was created in 2012 updated in 2020 and will expire on 2021
- Domain Name – coolwebsearch.com
- IP Address – 184.108.40.206
- Affected OS – Windows
- Affected Browser – Google Chrome, Internet Explorer
- Distribution methods – Software bundling fake software updaters
- Damages – Loss of private and sensitive information
- Removal – Always use legit antivirus software to protect from CoolWebSearch
How CoolWebSearch Affects The System
There are many ways in which CoolWebSearch can infect the web browser. In most cases, users are not aware that CoolWebSearch has been downloaded or installed in the system. Therefore it is referred to as a potentially unwanted program that is considered completely unsafe. Many antivirus programs are not able to detect CoolWebSearch as dangerous. Many users installed it due to the careless installation of freeware programs from deceptive sources. So, it is strictly instructed that always installs the programs from trustworthy sites. Always use a legitimate antivirus program that can protect the system from CoolWebSearch.
Removal Steps For CoolWebSearch
If the user is willing to remove the CoolWebSearch from the computer then you are at the appropriate article which can help and guide you on how to remove the browser hijacker from the system. There are two consecutive steps which you have to follow. The first step is Automatic which is very easy and can be done by itself. There is no need for technical expertise in this process. The second step is Manual which is time-consuming and hard to solve any issues related to computers because it requires a tech expert who can solve the problem.
Read More Post On Browser Hijacker:-
Details of Antimalware with User’s Guide
Important Note: This virus seeks users to enable the web browser notifications. So, before opting for the manual removal process, execute these steps.
For Google Chrome (PC)
- Users need to Go to right upper corner of the screen and find three dots and click there open the Menu button
- Now in order to Select “Settings”. users need to Scroll the mouse downward to choose as “Advanced” option.
- Then Go to “Privacy and Security” section by scrolling downward. Once done you need to select “Content settings” and then “Notification” option
- Now Find all suspicious URLs and select and click on three dots on the right side
- Now all you have to do is to choose “Block” or “Remove” option
Google Chrome (Android)
- Firstly users should Go to right upper corner of the screen
- Then click on three dots in order to open the menu button and again click on “Settings”
- Now scroll down further to click on “site settings” and there after press on “notifications” option
- This would open a new window, now you need to choose each suspicious URLs one by one
- under permission section, users need to select “notification” and “Off” the toggle button.
From Mozilla Firefox
- At the right corner of the screen, users can find three dots which is the “Menu” button
- Now you need to Select “Options” and choose “Privacy and Security” for the toolbar which is present in the left side on the screen
- Now you need to Slowly scroll down and go to “Permission” section then select “Settings” option which is just next to “Notifications”
- This will open a new window, So now select all the suspicious URLs. Finally Click on the drop-down menu and select “Block” option
From Internet Explorer
- Open and select Internet Explorer window, then you need to select the Gear button which is present at the right corner
- Then Choose “Internet Options”
- users need to Select “Privacy” tab and then click on “Settings” under the “Pop-up Blocker” section
- Finally you need to Select all the suspicious URLs and click on the “Remove” option one by one.
In Microsoft Edge
- First of all Open the Microsoft Edge browser on Windows PC. Then click on the three dots which can be found on right corner of the screen to open the menu option
- Now Scroll down to select “Settings”
- Then further Scroll down to select “view advanced settings”
- Under the option of “Website Permission”, users should click on “Manage” options.
- Now Click on switch under for each and every suspicious URL.
For Safari (Mac)
- click on “Safari” On the upper right side corner, select “Preferences”
- Now Go to “website” tab and then you need to choose “Notification” section which is on left pane
- Then Search for all the suspicious URLs and finally choose “Deny” option one by one.
Complete Manual Steps to Remove CoolWebSearch
For Windows 7 Users
The first step is to Click on “Start” button ( windows logo at bottom left corner of screen), Now select “Control Panel”. Then Locate the “Programs” and finally click on “Uninstall Program” option.
Windows XP Users
Firstly Click on “Start” and then select on “Settings”.
Now click on “Control Panel”.
Finally Search and click on “Add or Remove Program” option.
Windows 10 and 8 Users
Firstly right click on to the lower left corner of the screen. Under “Quick Access” menu, you need to choose “Control Panel”. This would open a new window, select “Program and Features” to find any suspicious program and remove them.
For Mac OSX Users
users need to Click on “Finder” option. Then select “Application” on new screen which gets opened. Now select “Application” folder and drag the app to “Trash”. Finally right click on the Trash icon and select to click on “Empty Trash” option.
under uninstall programs window, look for any potentially unwanted application. Once found select all the unwanted and suspicious entries. Then finally click on “Uninstall” or “Remove”.
Once all the PUA and adware such as CoolWebSearch is uninstalled, it is advised to scan your computer with an anti-malware tool for any remaining PUPs and PUAs which might be hidden. It is recommended to use anti-malware tool to scan PC.
How to Remove CoolWebSearch from Internet Browsers
Steps to Delete malicious add-ons and extensions from Internet Explorer
You need to Click on the gear icon which is at the top right corner of Internet Explorer. Now Select “Manage Add-ons”. Search and check for any recently installed plug-ins or add-ons and then click on “Remove” option.
If you are still experiencing issues related to CoolWebSearch removal, then you can reset the Internet Explorer to its default setting.
Windows XP users: First of all Press on “Start” and then click “Run”. In the newly opened window, you need to type “inetcpl.cpl” and then click on the “Advanced” tab and now press on “Reset”.
Windows Vista and Windows 7 Users: Press the Windows logo, you need to type ‘inetcpl.cpl’ in the start search box and press enter. This will open a new window, here click on the “Advanced Tab” followed by “Reset” button.
For Windows 8 Users: Double click to Open IE and then click on the “gear” icon. Select and Choose “Internet Options”
“Advanced” tab is to be selected in the new window
now Press and click “Reset” option
“Reset” button is to be presses again to confirm that you really want to reset the IE
How to Remove suspicious and unwanted Extension from Google Chrome
Under menu option of Google Chrome, press on three vertical dots and then select on “More tools” and then “Extensions”. Users need to search for all the recently installed add-ons and remove all of them.
If CoolWebSearch still persists or in case if users experience any issue in removing it, then opt to reset the Google Chrome browse settings. Go to three dot points which is at the top right corner and then choose “Settings”. you need to Scroll down bottom and click on “Advanced”.
You can notice the “Reset” option is there at the bottom. Now click on it.
Within then next opened window, one needs to confirm to reset the Google Chrome settings by clicking on the “Reset” button.
Remove CoolWebSearch plugins (including all other suspicious plug-ins) from Firefox Mozilla
First of all Open the Firefox browser, under menu you need to select “Add-ons”. Click “Extensions”. Now Select all the recently installed browser plug-ins.
If you experience problems in CoolWebSearch removal then reset the settings option in Mozilla Firefox. For this users need to Open the browser (FF) and now click on the “menu” and then click on “Help“.
Now Choose “Troubleshooting Information”
In the newly opened pop-up window, click “Refresh Firefox” button
Now confirm and reset the Mozilla Firefox to its default settings by clicking on “Refresh Firefox” button.
How To Remove Malicious Extension from Safari
In order to accomplish this task, Open Safari browser and then go to its “Menu” and select “Preferences”.
Now Click on the “Extension” and check all the recently installed “Extensions” and then click on “Uninstall” on the selected extension.
Users need to Open the “Safari” and go to menu. Under the drop-down menu, select “Clear History and Website Data”.
within new opened window, you need to select “All History” option and then press on “Clear History” to Delete it.
Delete CoolWebSearch add-ons from Microsoft Edge Browser
First of all Open Microsoft Edge and go to three horizontal dot icons at the top right corner of the browser. Select all installed extensions and right click on the mouse to “uninstall”.
Open Microsoft Edge Browser and select “Settings”
Next steps is to click on “Choose what to clear” button
Now select on “show more” and select all and then click on “Clear” button.
Mostly, Potentially Unwanted Program and adware gets inside the marked PC through unsafe freeware downloads. It is advised that you should only select legit website only while downloading any kind of free applications. Now select custom or advanced installation process so that you can trace the additional PUPs listed for installation along with the main program.