Empire Ransomware Info
Empire Ransomware is a malicious software that encrypts victims' files and demands ransom payment for the decryption key. It was first discovered in 2021 and has been seen primarily targeting individual users. It adds a ".emp" extension to encrypted files and leaves a ransom note called "HOW-TO-DECRYPT.txt" with instructions for payment. Here's a breakdown of everything you need to know about what this ransomware does:
- Encrypts your files: Empire targets a variety of file types, including documents, photos, videos, and more. It uses strong encryption algorithms to make them unreadable, which essentially renders them unusable.
- Adds a file extension: After encrypting your files, Empire usually adds a specific extension to their file names, such as ".emp". This serves as an indication that your files have been tampered with.
- Delivers a ransom note: The Empire creates a ransom note file, often named "HOW-TO-DECRYPT.txt", which explains what has happened and gives you instructions on how to get your files back. How to pay the ransom. The note usually contains a threat to permanently delete your files if you don't comply.
Threat Analysis Of Empire Ransomware
|Ransomware, Crypto Virus, Files Locker
|Encrypted Files Extension
|Ransom Note Name
|[email protected] (Email), @how_to_decrypt_bot (Telegram)
|Infected email attachments (macros), torrent websites, malicious ads, etc.
|This Ransomware will encrypt your data by adding a “.emp” extension to the file names and demand a ransom payment for the decryption key.
Signs Of Empire Ransomware Infection
Here are some key signs that your system may be infected with Empire ransomware:
- Unobstructed file encryption: Your important files, like documents, photos, videos, and more, become inaccessible. They appear scattered and useless.
- File extension changes: New extensions are added to the names of files, often something like ".emp", ".locked", or ".encrypted".
- Pop-up windows or alerts: You may see unexpected pop-up windows or alerts informing you that your files have been encrypted and demanding ransom payment for decryption.
- Slow performance: Your computer may run much slower than usual, causing files and programs to take longer to open.
- Ransom Note: Find "HOW-TO-DECRYPT.txt" or similar files on your desktop or other folders. These files usually contain instructions on how to pay the ransom and regain access to your files.
How Does Empire Ransomware Get On Your PC?
Empire Ransomware, like many other malware threats, can infiltrate your computer in a variety of ways. Here are some of the most common and simple methods:
- Phishing: Cybercriminals send emails disguised as legitimate sources like banks, delivery services, or even friends/family. These emails usually contain malicious attachments (documents, executable files) or phishing links. Empire can be downloaded and installed on your system by clicking on them or opening the attachments.
- Spam emails: Unsolicited spam emails often contain malware hidden within embedded images or disguised links. There is a high risk of infection if you download anything from such emails.
- Pirated Software and Cracks: Downloading unauthorized software or cracking tools from untrusted sources often comes with malware like Empire.
- Fake updates: Pop-up notifications imitating software updates can trick users into downloading and installing malware disguised as legitimate updates.
How To Remove Empire Ransomware?
If you see any of these signs on your computer, as we mentioned above, it is very important to take action to remove this ransomware from your computer. So if you want to remove Empire Ransomware from your computer then click on the link below and follow the steps mentioned.
Details of Antimalware with User’s Guide
Step 1 Remove Empire Ransomware using “Safe Mode with Networking”
Step 2 Delete Empire Ransomware using “System Restore”
Step 1 Remove Empire Ransomware using “Safe Mode with Networking”
Windows XP and Windows 7 users:
First of all Reboot the PC in “Safe Mode”. For this users need to Click on “Start” option and then continuously Tap on F8 during the start process. Then a “Windows Advanced Option” menu will appear on the screen. Now Choose “Safe Mode with Networking” from the listed options.
This will open a new Windows homescreen and your PC or work-station will be working on “Safe Mode with Networking”.
For Windows 8
First Go to Start Screen. Now type “Advanced” after selecting settings within the searched results Within the “General PC Settings” option, Select “Advanced startup” option. Then click on the “Restart Now” option. This will boot work-station to “Advanced Startup Option Menu”. Now Press on “Troubleshoot” and then “Advanced options” button. Then under “Advanced Option Screen”, You need to press on “Startup Settings”. Now again, click on “Restart” button. This will restart PC or Work-station with “Startup Setting” screen. You need to tap F5 to boot in Safe Mode in Networking.
For Windows 10
First of all click on Windows logo by clicking on the “Power” icon. This will open a new menu. Select “Restart” by constantly keeping “Shift” button pressed on keyboard. Once the new Window open Select on “Troubleshoot” as advanced option. Within the startup settings users need to press on “Restart” by clicking on F5 button of the keyboard.
Step:2 How To Delete Empire Ransomware using System Restore
For this you need to log in on the PC which is compromised by Empire Ransomware. Now open any browser and download legit anti-malware software. Once installed you need to undergo complete system scan. Thereafter remove the infected and suspicious entries which are detected.
Suppose if you are unable to start PC in “Safe Mode with Networking”, you need not worry. Try “System Restore” Process
Continuously tap F8 Key during “Startup” and then “Advanced Option” menu will appear. Now from the given list of option you need to select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and hit on Enter button.
Within new open window of command prompt, type “cd restore” and then click “Enter”
Now type rstrui.exe and then press “ENTER”
In the new opened Window Click on “Next” option.
You can select and choose any of the “Restore Points” and click on Next (This would restore your PC to earlier period before Empire Ransomware invasion when it was working fine.)
Press on “Yes” in new opened Window.
As soon as your PC gets restored to its previous time, download the suggested anti-malware tool and perform a deep scanning in order to remove Empire Ransomware infected files if still present on the the work-station.
If you want to restore each file separately which is infected by this ransomware, kindly use “Windows Previous Version” feature. This step is most effective whenever “System Restore Function” is enabled on the PC or work-station.
Important Note: Some variants of Empire Ransomware delete the “Shadow Volume Copies” so in such cases this feature may not work all the time and will work in specific cases only.
Know How To Restore Encrypted Files Individually
If you want to restore an individual file, you need to right click on it and then go to “Properties”. Now Select “Previous Version” tab. then Choose a “Restore Point” and finally click on “Restore” option.
If you want to access the files encrypted by Empire Ransomware, alternatively you can try “Shadow Explorer”. To know more details on this application, Click here.
Important: Data Encryption Ransomware are very devastating and hence it is always better to take necessary precautions to avoid any attack on your work-station or PC. We recommend using a powerful anti-malware tool for real time protection. “SpyHunter”, “Enigma group policy objects” are enabled in the registries so that it can block harmful infections such as Empire Ransomware.
Also, it is highly important to get a very unique feature called “Fall Creators Update” installed on Windows 10. This would ensure to offer “Controlled Folder Access” feature to block any kind of encryption of the data files. Using this feature all the files stored in their default locations are safe.
How To Recover Files Encrypted by Empire Ransomware
You would have understood now that how you can remove the scripts and payloads of personal files that got encrypted due to Empire Ransomware in order to protect your personal files which were fortunately not damaged or encrypted till now. If you are unable to retrieve the locked files, using “System Restore” and “Shadow Volume Copies” you must try using a Data Recovery Software.
Step 1: Download Data Recovery Software
Step 3: Click to Accept to agree the terms and agreement.
Step 4: Once installed, this program will be ready to execute. Now select the file you want to recover
Step 5: Select the drive on which the recovery tool is to be run upon. Then click on Scan option
Step 6: This will show Scan in progress bar