Know More About Flofix Trojan?
Are you facing difficulties while accessing the system? If yes, then your system has been hacked by Flofix Trojan. This trojan is a bit of threatening malware that was injected by a group of hackers into a popular system with the help of PC repair software named CCleaner’s. The trojan is not so harmful but it enters silently into the system and gathered information on a large amount of data about the system such as unique ID number, installed software, address, etc, and sends it to control and command servers. However, Flofix Trojan was active in the period of 15 August till 12 September 2017 and has infected more than 2 million users across the world. Moreover, the malicious software is capable of installing and downloading additional threats on the system, rather no evidence was located of doing so.
Flofix Trojan was installed in the main system programs file – CCleaner.exe. Thus, the virus entered the system if the user installed in the versions of CCleaner (5.33.6162) or CCleaner Cloud (1.07.3191) programs. Although the virus was only active on 32-bit Windows OS. Additionally, Flofix Trojan does not execute its payment load if the user was not using the administrator account.
There is a bit of research done to detect the several versions of the Flofix Trojan which acts similarly. However, most of them steal the information about the victim, including some technical details about the targeted system like the list of installed programs, name of the targeted computer, unique computer ID, list of active processes.
Besides, all of these Flofix Trojan also track personal user information such as credit card numbers, login credentials. Somehow it also installs other types of malicious programs like ransomware, when it comes to connecting with remote servers.
At last, we only suggest that if the user has installed the CCleaner between 15 August to 12 September 2017 are strictly advised to update the program and scan the full system with legitimate antivirus software to protect from Flofix Trojan.
|Active||15 August till 12 September 2017|
|Infiltration||Hacked CCleaner executable|
|Other detection||Win/Flofix.A., Win32/Flofix, Flofix.Trojan.trace|
|Affected Versions||CCleaner Cloud (1.07.3191) or CCleaner (5.33.6162)|
|Removal||Always use legit antivirus software to protect the system.|
Prevention Tips For Flofix Trojan
Be careful and always pay attention to the links are irrelevant or not, and attachments, files that should not be clicked from unauthorized sources. Software and programs should always be downloaded or installed from official channels because they cannot harm the system. Therefore do not use third-party software downloads because of cyber attacks on your system. Always read the policy and EULA agreement before installing the programs in your system. Always use legit antivirus software to protect your system from Flofix Trojan.
Removal Process For Flofix Trojan
If you are waiting to remove the Flofix Trojan from the system then you can read our post which will help you to understand how to get rid of the trojan which enters silently into the system. Though you can use a manual method which is more suitable for those who know the computer language very well because this process is time-consuming and lengthy too. Hence it also requires technical expertise. Otherwise, you can use an automatic method which is very simple and it can be done by itself only, and does not require any technical expertise to complete the work.
You Might Read This Post:
Details of Antimalware with User’s Guide
Important Note: This virus seeks users to enable web browser notifications. So, before opting for the manual removal process, execute these steps.
For Google Chrome (PC)
- Users need to Go to right upper corner of the screen and find three dots and click there open the Menu button
- Now in order to Select “Settings”. users need to Scroll the mouse downward to choose as “Advanced” option.
- Then Go to “Privacy and Security” section by scrolling downward. Once done you need to select “Content settings” and then “Notification” option
- Now Find all suspicious URLs and select and click on three dots on the right side
- Now all you have to do is to choose “Block” or “Remove” option
Google Chrome (Android)
- Firstly users should Go to right upper corner of the screen
- Then click on three dots in order to open the menu button and again click on “Settings”
- Now scroll down further to click on “site settings” and there after press on “notifications” option
- This would open a new window, now you need to choose each suspicious URLs one by one
- under permission section, users need to select “notification” and “Off” the toggle button.
From Mozilla Firefox
- At the right corner of the screen, users can find three dots which is the “Menu” button
- Now you need to Select “Options” and choose “Privacy and Security” for the toolbar which is present in the left side on the screen
- Now you need to Slowly scroll down and go to “Permission” section then select “Settings” option which is just next to “Notifications”
- This will open a new window, So now select all the suspicious URLs. Finally Click on the drop-down menu and select “Block” option
From Internet Explorer
- Open and select Internet Explorer window, then you need to select the Gear button which is present at the right corner
- Then Choose “Internet Options”
- users need to Select “Privacy” tab and then click on “Settings” under the “Pop-up Blocker” section
- Finally you need to Select all the suspicious URLs and click on the “Remove” option one by one.
In Microsoft Edge
- First of all Open the Microsoft Edge browser on Windows PC. Then click on the three dots which can be found on right corner of the screen to open the menu option
- Now Scroll down to select “Settings”
- Then further Scroll down to select “view advanced settings”
- Under the option of “Website Permission”, users should click on “Manage” options.
- Now Click on switch under for each and every suspicious URL.
For Safari (Mac)
- click on “Safari” On the upper right side corner, select “Preferences”
- Now Go to “website” tab and then you need to choose “Notification” section which is on left pane
- Then Search for all the suspicious URLs and finally choose “Deny” option one by one.
Complete Manual Steps to Remove Flofix Trojan
For Windows 7 Users
The first step is to Click on “Start” button ( windows logo at bottom left corner of screen), Now select “Control Panel”. Then Locate the “Programs” and finally click on “Uninstall Program” option.
Windows XP Users
Firstly Click on “Start” and then select on “Settings”.
Now click on “Control Panel”.
Finally Search and click on “Add or Remove Program” option.
Windows 10 and 8 Users
Firstly right click on to the lower left corner of the screen. Under “Quick Access” menu, you need to choose “Control Panel”. This would open a new window, select “Program and Features” to find any suspicious program and remove them.
For Mac OSX Users
users need to Click on “Finder” option. Then select “Application” on new screen which gets opened. Now select “Application” folder and drag the app to “Trash”. Finally right click on the Trash icon and select to click on “Empty Trash” option.
under uninstall programs window, look for any potentially unwanted application. Once found select all the unwanted and suspicious entries. Then finally click on “Uninstall” or “Remove”.
Once all the PUA and adware such as Flofix Trojan is uninstalled, it is advised to scan your computer with an anti-malware tool for any remaining PUPs and PUAs which might be hidden. It is recommended to use anti-malware tool to scan PC.
How to Remove Flofix Trojan from Internet Browsers
Steps to Delete malicious add-ons and extensions from Internet Explorer
You need to Click on the gear icon which is at the top right corner of Internet Explorer. Now Select “Manage Add-ons”. Search and check for any recently installed plug-ins or add-ons and then click on “Remove” option.
If you are still experiencing issues related to Flofix Trojan removal, then you can reset the Internet Explorer to its default setting.
Windows XP users: First of all Press on “Start” and then click “Run”. In the newly opened window, you need to type “inetcpl.cpl” and then click on the “Advanced” tab and now press on “Reset”.
Windows Vista and Windows 7 Users: Press the Windows logo, you need to type ‘inetcpl.cpl’ in the start search box and press enter. This will open a new window, here click on the “Advanced Tab” followed by “Reset” button.
For Windows 8 Users: Double click to Open IE and then click on the “gear” icon. Select and Choose “Internet Options”
“Advanced” tab is to be selected in the new window
now Press and click “Reset” option
“Reset” button is to be presses again to confirm that you really want to reset the IE
How to Remove suspicious and unwanted Extension from Google Chrome
Under menu option of Google Chrome, press on three vertical dots and then select on “More tools” and then “Extensions”. Users need to search for all the recently installed add-ons and remove all of them.
If Flofix Trojan still persists or in case if users experience any issue in removing it, then opt to reset the Google Chrome browse settings. Go to three dot points which is at the top right corner and then choose “Settings”. you need to Scroll down bottom and click on “Advanced”.
You can notice the “Reset” option is there at the bottom. Now click on it.
Within then next opened window, one needs to confirm to reset the Google Chrome settings by clicking on the “Reset” button.
Remove Flofix Trojan plugins (including all other suspicious plug-ins) from Firefox Mozilla
First of all Open the Firefox browser, under menu you need to select “Add-ons”. Click “Extensions”. Now Select all the recently installed browser plug-ins.
If you experience problems in Flofix Trojan removal then reset the settings option in Mozilla Firefox. For this users need to Open the browser (FF) and now click on the “menu” and then click on “Help“.
Now Choose “Troubleshooting Information”
In the newly opened pop-up window, click “Refresh Firefox” button
Now confirm and reset the Mozilla Firefox to its default settings by clicking on “Refresh Firefox” button.
How To Remove Malicious Extension from Safari
In order to accomplish this task, Open Safari browser and then go to its “Menu” and select “Preferences”.
Now Click on the “Extension” and check all the recently installed “Extensions” and then click on “Uninstall” on the selected extension.
Users need to Open the “Safari” and go to menu. Under the drop-down menu, select “Clear History and Website Data”.
within new opened window, you need to select “All History” option and then press on “Clear History” to Delete it.
Delete Flofix Trojan add-ons from Microsoft Edge Browser
First of all Open Microsoft Edge and go to three horizontal dot icons at the top right corner of the browser. Select all installed extensions and right click on the mouse to “uninstall”.
Open Microsoft Edge Browser and select “Settings”
Next steps is to click on “Choose what to clear” button
Now select on “show more” and select all and then click on “Clear” button.
Mostly, Potentially Unwanted Program and adware gets inside the marked PC through unsafe freeware downloads. It is advised that you should only select legit website only while downloading any kind of free applications. Now select custom or advanced installation process so that you can trace the additional PUPs listed for installation along with the main program.