What is MovieSearch.org
Are you getting redirected to MovieSearch.org? Did your browser land you on MovieSearch.org? This website is often promoted as a search engine for finding and searching movies and TV shows. This can be good for movie buffs. However it seems to be dubious for others as it often fetches search results of unknown streaming websites. Legit sites such as HBO, Amazon Prime, Netflix are nowhere seen in the results. This makes it more suspicious to be relied upon. This is an indication that all the results which are obtained are sponsored ones. So the users can’t be very sure whether they are being taken to the website is reliable or not. Once its plugins get installed, MovieSearch.org starts generating various advertisements including web advertisements, online advertisements, and various screen messages. It falls under the category of adware and you should remove it as soon as you notice its presence on your computer. Clicking on one of these advertisements may lead you to get MovieSearch.org. In order to put an end to the advertising generated by MovieSearch.org and other spam-type content once and for all, you should remove MovieSearch.org from your computer, and the sooner the better. Many movie lovers might like it and because of this. However it should not be trusted and it is better to get rid of this unwanted program to stop seeing such ads.
Type: Adware, Potentially Unwanted program
Similar Behavior: MovieSearchBox
Distribution: by clicking on ads, sponsored links, deceptive installation of adware, freeware
Symptoms: Change in the browser settings, homepage gets replaced with MovieSearch.org
Removal: Manual and Automatic MovieSearch.org Removal is Possible
Strategy Used by MovieSearch.org
From the very appearance it looks like a decent search engine with the option to input keywords and then a search icon is to be clicked. It’s clearly written that you search for your favorite movies and TV shows. But as soon as the keyword as Movie Name is searched it fetches only the Title with the url of some unknown websites. Clicking on them will redirect to unknown websites such as fmovies.to. Many of the pages won’t open as they are mostly tags and nothing else. Their main motive is to derive maximum clicks to generate revenue for vendors of MovieSearch.org. It is clear that in order to pre-select the ads that might interest you, MovieSearch.org has to collect a lot of data about what users do when they mostly surf on the net. The creators of the program are not responsible for any external advertisers, which means that you click on the ads on MovieSearch.org at your own risk. It may have been downloaded from its official website, but you will most likely receive it in a bundle together with freeware applications or via third-party file download managers available from various file-storing websites. Although advertising does not change visually, a different web page may open each time you click on it.
How to Remove MovieSearch.org
Users can easily follow the MovieSearchBox removal Guide which is included at the end of the post. Users are free to opt for either manual or automatic removal process whichever is suitable to them. Manual removal is suggested for those users who have good knowledge of computers. Users who lack such computing skills can opt for Automatic scanning of the system using the recommended Anti-malware tool.
Details of Antimalware with User’s Guide
Important Note: This virus seeks users to enable the web browser notifications. So, before opting for the manual removal process, execute these steps.
For Google Chrome (PC)
- Users need to Go to right upper corner of the screen and find three dots and click there open the Menu button
- Now in order to Select “Settings”. users need to Scroll the mouse downward to choose as “Advanced” option.
- Then Go to “Privacy and Security” section by scrolling downward. Once done you need to select “Content settings” and then “Notification” option
- Now Find all suspicious URLs and select and click on three dots on the right side
- Now all you have to do is to choose “Block” or “Remove” option
Google Chrome (Android)
- Firstly users should Go to right upper corner of the screen
- Then click on three dots in order to open the menu button and again click on “Settings”
- Now scroll down further to click on “site settings” and there after press on “notifications” option
- This would open a new window, now you need to choose each suspicious URLs one by one
- under permission section, users need to select “notification” and “Off” the toggle button.
From Mozilla Firefox
- At the right corner of the screen, users can find three dots which is the “Menu” button
- Now you need to Select “Options” and choose “Privacy and Security” for the toolbar which is present in the left side on the screen
- Now you need to Slowly scroll down and go to “Permission” section then select “Settings” option which is just next to “Notifications”
- This will open a new window, So now select all the suspicious URLs. Finally Click on the drop-down menu and select “Block” option
From Internet Explorer
- Open and select Internet Explorer window, then you need to select the Gear button which is present at the right corner
- Then Choose “Internet Options”
- users need to Select “Privacy” tab and then click on “Settings” under the “Pop-up Blocker” section
- Finally you need to Select all the suspicious URLs and click on the “Remove” option one by one.
In Microsoft Edge
- First of all Open the Microsoft Edge browser on Windows PC. Then click on the three dots which can be found on right corner of the screen to open the menu option
- Now Scroll down to select “Settings”
- Then further Scroll down to select “view advanced settings”
- Under the option of “Website Permission”, users should click on “Manage” options.
- Now Click on switch under for each and every suspicious URL.
For Safari (Mac)
- click on “Safari” On the upper right side corner, select “Preferences”
- Now Go to “website” tab and then you need to choose “Notification” section which is on left pane
- Then Search for all the suspicious URLs and finally choose “Deny” option one by one.
Complete Manual Steps to Remove MovieSearch.org
For Windows 7 Users
The first step is to Click on “Start” button ( windows logo at bottom left corner of screen), Now select “Control Panel”. Then Locate the “Programs” and finally click on “Uninstall Program” option.
Windows XP Users
Firstly Click on “Start” and then select on “Settings”.
Now click on “Control Panel”.
Finally Search and click on “Add or Remove Program” option.
Windows 10 and 8 Users
Firstly right click on to the lower left corner of the screen. Under “Quick Access” menu, you need to choose “Control Panel”. This would open a new window, select “Program and Features” to find any suspicious program and remove them.
For Mac OSX Users
users need to Click on “Finder” option. Then select “Application” on new screen which gets opened. Now select “Application” folder and drag the app to “Trash”. Finally right click on the Trash icon and select to click on “Empty Trash” option.
under uninstall programs window, look for any potentially unwanted application. Once found select all the unwanted and suspicious entries. Then finally click on “Uninstall” or “Remove”.
Once all the PUA and adware such as MovieSearch.org is uninstalled, it is advised to scan your computer with an anti-malware tool for any remaining PUPs and PUAs which might be hidden. It is recommended to use anti-malware tool to scan PC.
How to Remove MovieSearch.org from Internet Browsers
Steps to Delete malicious add-ons and extensions from Internet Explorer
You need to Click on the gear icon which is at the top right corner of Internet Explorer. Now Select “Manage Add-ons”. Search and check for any recently installed plug-ins or add-ons and then click on “Remove” option.
If you are still experiencing issues related to MovieSearch.org removal, then you can reset the Internet Explorer to its default setting.
Windows XP users: First of all Press on “Start” and then click “Run”. In the newly opened window, you need to type “inetcpl.cpl” and then click on the “Advanced” tab and now press on “Reset”.
Windows Vista and Windows 7 Users: Press the Windows logo, you need to type ‘inetcpl.cpl’ in the start search box and press enter. This will open a new window, here click on the “Advanced Tab” followed by “Reset” button.
For Windows 8 Users: Double click to Open IE and then click on the “gear” icon. Select and Choose “Internet Options”
“Advanced” tab is to be selected in the new window
now Press and click “Reset” option
“Reset” button is to be presses again to confirm that you really want to reset the IE
How to Remove suspicious and unwanted Extension from Google Chrome
Under menu option of Google Chrome, press on three vertical dots and then select on “More tools” and then “Extensions”. Users need to search for all the recently installed add-ons and remove all of them.
If MovieSearch.org still persists or in case if users experience any issue in removing it, then opt to reset the Google Chrome browse settings. Go to three dot points which is at the top right corner and then choose “Settings”. you need to Scroll down bottom and click on “Advanced”.
You can notice the “Reset” option is there at the bottom. Now click on it.
Within then next opened window, one needs to confirm to reset the Google Chrome settings by clicking on the “Reset” button.
Remove MovieSearch.org plugins (including all other suspicious plug-ins) from Firefox Mozilla
First of all Open the Firefox browser, under menu you need to select “Add-ons”. Click “Extensions”. Now Select all the recently installed browser plug-ins.
If you experience problems in MovieSearch.org removal then reset the settings option in Mozilla Firefox. For this users need to Open the browser (FF) and now click on the “menu” and then click on “Help“.
Now Choose “Troubleshooting Information”
In the newly opened pop-up window, click “Refresh Firefox” button
Now confirm and reset the Mozilla Firefox to its default settings by clicking on “Refresh Firefox” button.
How To Remove Malicious Extension from Safari
In order to accomplish this task, Open Safari browser and then go to its “Menu” and select “Preferences”.
Now Click on the “Extension” and check all the recently installed “Extensions” and then click on “Uninstall” on the selected extension.
Users need to Open the “Safari” and go to menu. Under the drop-down menu, select “Clear History and Website Data”.
within new opened window, you need to select “All History” option and then press on “Clear History” to Delete it.
Delete MovieSearch.org add-ons from Microsoft Edge Browser
First of all Open Microsoft Edge and go to three horizontal dot icons at the top right corner of the browser. Select all installed extensions and right click on the mouse to “uninstall”.
Open Microsoft Edge Browser and select “Settings”
Next steps is to click on “Choose what to clear” button
Now select on “show more” and select all and then click on “Clear” button.
Mostly, Potentially Unwanted Program and adware gets inside the marked PC through unsafe freeware downloads. It is advised that you should only select legit website only while downloading any kind of free applications. Now select custom or advanced installation process so that you can trace the additional PUPs listed for installation along with the main program.